Sunday, January 7, 2007

What to Do when Your Daughter is an Animal person and You Aren't!

I'm not an animal person. I thought I was, but I really am not. I mean, I remember having 3 or 4 dogs, a cat, and a toucan when I was a kid. I loved them all, but we have just had bad luck with pets ever since the Sanders family was established. We had turtles. They lasted quite a well. ALL turtles do, don't they? I mean, can you kill a turtle? We also had hamsters--TWO in the same cage once. They were brothers, or sisters, or brother and sister, I don't know. I thought that since they were kin, surely they would love each other. NOT. Sammy ate or something Hammy's head off. It was disgusting. Separate cages from now on... Hammy 2 lasted for quite a while. Sammy went into shock--just found him kind of stretched out on the floor of his cage one day. Interesting, anyway. He was taken to the vet, saved, and I'll let Mark Etherington tell the rest of the story... (it's a short--too short, sad story). Now we have two hamsters, Mr. Tumnus and Tubby. They are fine and even cute IN THEIR CAGES. We've also had 3 dogs (2 while living in an apartment and 1 in a house with a very small yard). I say all this so that you will understand that I have honestly TRIED...all for Morgan. Morgan loves and takes care of Mr. Tumnus, but now she wants a CAT. I tell her that when she grows up, she can have--yeah, rather, I will even buy her 80 cats if she wants them--IN HER OWN HOUSE. From my recollection, cats have claws and they must use them...on something. These "somethings" are not usually those cute little fluffy balls that you buy at the pet store. They prefer...FURNITURE. Now, my furniture doesn't look so great, but cat claws would finish it off. Morgan's dad is a little softer on this issue than I am, but I can just picture all kinds of disasters, starting with the mysterious disappearance of Mr. Tumnus and Tubby ... What do all of you bloggers think? Most of you lived in the jungle, so what's a pet iguana or monkey or two?! Help me out here!

8 comments:

Rita Loca said...

I think you should just wait and adopt our perfectly trained cat when we leave for furlough!

Rita Loca said...

As a free bonus , we can throw in 2 dogs and 4 turtles!

Morgan said...

please vote 4 me!!!

Jackie said...

I for one, HATE cats. They make me sneeze, plus they are snooty. Ours never scratched our furniture (wait! we never had furniture!!) but they did scratch me! I vote no, (please forgive me Morgan) The only reason my mother allowed my dad to bring all the stray kitties home was because we had rats in our house....A cat might eat Mr. Tumnus, and that is too cute of a name to be eaten! All this is coming from a animal despiser. I only put up with Large gaurd dogs, everything else is....ewwwwww. :-)

~*♥Verja♥*~ said...

Forgive Jackie. She has turned to the dark side. I vote:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
::
:
:
:
:
:
::
:
:
:
:
:
:
MORGAN!!!!!!!!! CATS RULE!!! ALL ANIMALS DO!!!!

Morgan said...

tks jayde, you r my best suporter!

Unknown said...

For the record, I first voted on your side Mom! But when I realized my dear niece is grieving about having to leave her kitty behind soon, and she REALLY wants a great home for it, I retracted my vote for the MOm and voted for Morgan!!SORRY! But in all honesty, I can't breath if a cat is anywhere near me and I always feel dirty! Don't tell Jayde I said that! hehehe

CaraqueƱa said...

Pam, I'm not sure we would be a GOOD home, since I don't like any animal that is not in a cage! We met the cat, by the way.