Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sonnet to Wint'ry Supplications

Awak'ning my soul one ice-bitten night,
(The wint'ry ghosts whipping with icy shards,)
Sleep eludes and taunts my groping sight~
And at the frosty doom I shrink~Coward!~
I rise to see the tempest thunder,
Terror is writ in my trembling ears~
But by the stair I hear a whisper,
A voice of satin, smoothed with prayer's tears,
To Christ in heav'n the weeping saint doth plead
For (O love undying,) for me; Her gist
Doth ask for peace, the King my life to lead,
And toil of her stricken years be kissed.
That dream (Tho' no dream it was) ne'er mine ears
Will forget~that spectral saint's love-show'red tears.
Dedicated to Beth Sanders by her firstborn son on Mothers' Day, 2008 *Do not copy*

4 comments:

Rita Loca said...

I am so glad he is still writing!!! Proud mama, I bet!

Liz said...

This is so good, but my poor knowledge of Shakespeare's tongue, stops me from understanding it all!
:{

Rita Loca said...

Liz,
The poem is about awakening in the night, afraid and cold, only to hear the voice of his mother in prayer for him. He will never forget the love and tears of his saintly mom as she prayed for him to be blessed and follow the Lord in his life.

There, I just made a terrible pros out of his beautiful poetry!
Sorry!!!!!

Liz said...

JM, Thanks! you're so cute! I could grasp most of it. But the beauty of it, due to the ancient or formal english, was somehow lost.

I'm an avid reader of Spanish poetry and books written in 'español castizo'. But it's very difficult for me to read the same things in English.

Like watching a movie were the protagonists are gang members: I understand the words but nothing makes sense! well, this is not the best example, cause some time I think they're speaking a whole different language!!!

En fin, my dear Tocayita has to be very proud of her poet son. That's the important thing here :-)