Monday, October 13, 2008

Starting a Church~Not Easy...

Starting a church...doesn't even SOUND easy. This is the fifth church plant in which I've had the privilege of participating, and the truth is...it is easier~only because you get used to it. I guess it's kind of like childbirth...the first one is a humdinger, you know! Everything about it is new~you have NO IDEA what to expect because people who tell you about it forget parts... So, the first Sunday of your first church plant makes you REALLY nervous...what if nobody shows? I guess that can happen, although I'm happy that it hasn't happened to us. Well, you work, you pray, you get the church building ready, get up on the first day...then WAIT. Really a nerve-wracking business. WAIT. Well, eventually, a person shows up, then another. It's REALLY exciting! When it's your first time, you actually expect them all back the next week. Doesn't happen. Then...what? Our first time we went through a really hard time. But if I haven't learned ANYTHING else (I'm not too smart), I've learned that WE work, WE pray, but GOD gives the increase! And you know what? He does, in HIS time. This is our first church plant in Uruguay, and it's slow going~it always is. But we really just have to remember...and trust.

4 comments:

Liz said...

You told me once -on the phone- 'eso es lo que somos, misioneros'. So... don't worry! just do your best.

I think you guys have accomplished a LOT, given the short time you have been in the country.

Yekwana Man said...

congrats! You are braver than me. We just made a trip to Ciudad del Este as a possible future place to start a church.
Question. What papers are needed for an american family living in Paraguay to enter the country of Uruguay? Would they need to go to a consulate in Paraguay to get a visa or could they just cross over like they could into Argentina?

CaraqueƱa said...

Y-man: Matt says just use your passport. He also says, (and I quote), "If that in any way implies a visit, we WILL be expecting a visit!" We don't have our visas yet...we've just been going over the river to Argentina every 90 days.

Jackie said...

Hellloooo...I'll leave the church planting stuff up to the veteran missionaries. I'm here to talk about detangling spray. Exciting! I just mix 1 tbsp. of hair conditioner, any kind, with 1 cup of water. Douple, or triple that and pour into a squirt bottle. Works wonders with Elena.